Monday, September 22, 2014

DIY:: Simple Yarn Wall Art

Our bedroom has been through various stages of completion until I decide to change my mind on what to do with it.  For some reason, this has been the hardest room for me to complete.  I recently painted the wall a deep navy (Blue Fedora by Valspar), and needed something to break up the now big, blank, dark wall.  I had seen various yarn art ideas on Pinterest, but when I tried them, they ended up being a big fail.  My macrame skills are clearly not up to par…
My solution was just to use the beginning part of the tutorials for attaching the yarn to the branch (or whatever you choose to use).  I had been saving this branch for a while now, and this was the perfect project for it.  It obviously didn't want to be a tree anyway.
  
Supplies:: Various colors of yarn (I used 6 colors), scissors, branch/ dowel rod, copper tube…something to tie the yarn to.
Ready to get started?  You won't believe how simple it is…
1: Measure out one length of yarn you need and multiply it by two.  For example, my length needed to go behind my headboard was one and a half yards, so I cut all my yarn pieces to be three yards.  Fold your yarn in half to make a little loop and put it under the base you are using.  2: Fold the little loop over the top. 3: Reach through the loop and pull the tails through. 4: Pull the string taut.  You may need to push the loop together so that you can't see the dowel rod.  Continue adding your yarn pieces, switching colors as desired!!  
Wasn't that easy?!?!?!

This project was so much fun, I hope you will try one for your home!  It adds the perfect amount of color to our room without costing a lot of money- the best kind of project!  I just mounted it to the wall with some nails under strategic parts of the branch so it wouldn't fall off the wall and scare us in the middle of the night…no thanks.  

XO

bedding:: J.C. Penney / accent pillow:: Ikea / throw:: target / sconces:: urban outfitters

1 comment:

  1. That's really pretty! Such a perfect, yet simple statement piece!

    ReplyDelete